A Galaxy Research survey of more than 1200 people aged 18-39 has found 47 percent have chosen to end it with their partner on or around Valentine”s Day after taking stock of their relationship.
Almost half – 44 percent – of respondents said Valentine”s Day was a cynical marketing exercise designed to make couples shower each other with flowers, chocolates or underwear, while one-in-four singles saw it as a day of dread and a time to feel bad about themselves.
The survey has been launched as part of a cheeky anti-Valentine”s Day campaign spear-headed by social commentator and author Zoe Foster to encourage people to evaluate their relationships, including with their banks.
Foster, who co-wrote ”Textbook Romance” with radio funny man Hamish Blake, said that while for some couples Valentine”s Day could be filled with happiness it was also a time when couples assess their relationship and looked at options.
“Almost half of young people will actually break up with their partner around Valentine”s Day – it”s almost what you could consider ”break-up season”,” she said.
The survey found that as many as one-in-three unmarried couples used February 14 to consider their relationship while one-in-four, 25 percent, admitted to staying in a relationship over Valentine”s Day even though the relationship had lost its spark.
“Trust, respect and honesty are all of incredible importance,” Foster said.
“So, if your partner has cheated, or you”re feeling it”s run its course, or you just don”t bring out the best in each other, perhaps it”s time to move on,” she added.
- Dating App Featured in App Store’s ‘What’s Hot’ List has Teamed Up With New Online Breakup Service for Valentines (prweb.com)
- Online Lingerie Retailer MyLingerieLounge.com Says, “Make Valentine’s Day the Sexiest Day of 2012″ (prweb.com)
- 14 Valentine’s Day PR Stories We Heart (umpf.co.uk)
- Valentines Day: Prove Your Love (socyberty.com)
- Understanding Women on Valentine’s Day (upfrontmenblog.wordpress.com)
- The 14th of February (coloringinthedark.wordpress.com)
- Unique and Inexpensive Last Minute Gift Ideas for Valentine’s Day (prweb.com)
- fionchadd: As ever, XKCD gets Valentine’s Day right on the… (caterpillarcowboy.com)
- Seven Days of Valentine’s Day: Valentine #6 (thekenyonthrill.com)
- How To Survive Valentine’s Day While Single (forevertwentysomethings.com)