Nursing homes may house more frequent binge drinkers than college dorms.
In addition to finding that binge drinking is bigger than previously thought, a CDC report shows that while most binge drinkers are college students, those who binge most often are over 65.
More than 50 percent of the consumed alcohol in the United States is drunk while binge drinking, researchers found. The report revealed other surprises:
- The income bracket with the most binge drinkers is well off, with incomes over $75,000
- The poorest income bracket (less than $25,000) drinks the most per binge
- people who binge are not alcoholics
BLOG: Human Drinking May Damage Memory
The survey of 457,677 Americans asked both how often people engaged in binge drinking, and how many drinks they downed in a single session.
Binge drinking is most common in the Midwest, with Wisconsin adults who indulge in the practice topping the charts at 25.6 percent. It’s lowest in Utah, at 10.9 percent.
NEWS: Light Drinking Said OK for Pregnant Women
Make no mistake, however: college-age young adults still drink a lot: 28 percent of those ages 18 to 24 said they binged on alcohol four times a month, averaging 9.3 drinks per binge. And more than 90 percent of the alcohol youth drink occurs during binges.
- Senior citizens binge drink most often (holykaw.alltop.com)
- 1 new story | 1 in 6 Americans Is a Binge Drinker – Nation’s heaviest boozers are in Wisconsin, study finds (darkerme.com)
- Study finds lots of Americans binge drinking – and drinking a lot (mysanantonio.com)
- Americans belly up to the bar for binge drinking (mysanantonio.com)
- CDC: 1 in 6 US Adults Is a Binge Drinker (webmd.com)
9 thoughts on “It’s Not Your Grandmother’s Nursing Home: More Binge Drinkers than in College Dorms, CDC Study”
Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this site.
It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal.
I must say you have done a great job with this. Additionally, the blog loads
extremely quick for me on Firefox. Superb Blog!
I think the admin of this web page is truly working hard in favor of his site, because here every data is quality based stuff.
This site was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something which helped me.
My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find
nearly all of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for.
Do you offer guest writers to write content to suit
your needs? I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on a few of the subjects you
write related to here. Again, awesome web log!
Thank you. Feel free to email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org