Questions about dogs and fireworks are always at the forefront of canine anxiety conversations. So how do we keep our furry friends relaxed during these stressful months? Let’s talk tips and tricks:
- Keep dogs inside. Even dogs that spend most of their time outdoors should be brought inside during fireworks displays in order to avoid the potential for run-aways.
- Create a safe space. If your pup has a crate, make it “home” for the night! If not, use a small room in the house to create a cozy environment with their favorite toys, blankets, and soothing music.
- Get a calming wrap or vest. If you have a dog that’s scared of thunder and fireworks, you may already know that they often respond well to vests and shirts that create a calm and constant compression.
- Desensitize. Introducing the sounds of fireworks at a low volume, and rewarding with treats, can help prep dogs for the 4th. Increase volume during play sessions to re-associate potentially scary sounds with periods of enjoyment!
FIREWORK SAFETY AND YOUR DOG
Here’s a quick list of Do’s and Don’ts when it comes to dogs and fireworks:
|Keep dogs indoors, and in a crate or cozy room||Bring dogs to fireworks displays|
|Muffle noises with curtains, blankets, or soft music||Acknowledge their fear – it will add to their anxiety|
|Check fencing for holes to prevent escape||Let them off leash outside of a fenced area during fireworks season|
|Ensure properly fitted collars + updated tags||Panic! — Your pup needs you to stay calm|
|Offer added exercise during the day, to help stave off extra energy later||Forget to give them extra love & treats|
SOURCE: “I AND LOVE AND YOU” Pet Blog – Visit full article at:
Dogs & Fireworks: Why Are Dogs Scared of Fireworks?
Don’t Forget Fireworks Impact Veterans & Those with PTSD:
We’re breaking down your feline’s sleeping habits, and what they can tell you about your BFF – so that you can focus on the important stuff: head scratches and nuzzles.
- Bladder Stones in CatsJune 15, 2021
- Owner’s Guide: Lawn Care with DogsJune 09, 2021
- Cat Sleeping Habits: Everything You Need to KnowJune 03, 2021
- Puppy Teething GuideMay 17, 2021