60. Minimum # of days it takes to change an unhealthy eating habit.
HOW TO CHANGE AN UNHEALTHY EATING HABIT TO A HEALTHY ONE:
1. AWARENESS – Be mindful of the unhealthy eating habit. Think of WHY you reach for certain unhealthy foods. Then, exchange it for something healthy. See list below.
2. PLAN MEALS – If you have no time for lunch and that is when you grab something unhealthy, prepare a healthy meal the night before and bring it to the office with you. If you work from home, put it in the refrigerator for easy grabbing the next day.
3. REDUCE STRESS – Meditate. Reducing stress will also improve your sleep. Mediatating just twice a week can help with sleep problems. Turn off all electronic equipment and find a quiet place with no distractions and simply breathe and stretch. Nature is wonderful to quiet the noise.
4. TAKE IT SLOW SO YOU DON’T CRASH – Slow-and-Steady is best.
20 SMALL CHANGES YOU CAN MAKE THAT ADD UP in 60 DAYS:
- Start each day with a nutritious breakfast.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep because lack of sleep can cause you to overeat.
- Drink more water instead of sugary drinks, sodas, soft drinks or energy drinks.
- Don’t eat meals on the run.
- Eat when you’re really hungry. Stop when you’re comfortably full.
- Say no to second helpings.
- Eat healthy snacks every few hours: fruits, veggies, almonds, walnuts.
- If you eat dairy, switch to soy or lower-fat dairy products.
- If you eat white bread, switch to whole-grain bread.
- Use mustard instead of mayo.
- Instead of sauces, flavor your foods with herbs, vinegars, mustards, or lemon.
- If you drink coffee, switch to cafe au lait, using strong coffee and hot skim milk instead of cream.
- Limit alchohol to 1 or 2 drinks a day.
- Eat larger portions of water-rich foods and less of calorie-dense foods.
- If you never exercise –start with walking each day. Stretch and walk.
- Replace unhealthy snacking foods in your house with healthy ones.
- Replace ice cream with yogurts.
- Replace salty pretzels and chips with cereals, almonds, walnuts or popcorn.
- Stock your refrigerator with fresh fruits & veggies for snacking.
- Make your goal feeling healthy, rather than a certain weight.
60 DAYS. TWO MONTHS. LONGTERM CHANGE. BE PATIENT.