A FEW TAKEAWAYS in case you missed it. Brian Cuban asked Larry what it takes to be lean and some of his answers may surprise you.
If you think what you eat doesn’t matter, as long as you “work it off” –that’s a myth.
According to Larry North, eating healthy makes MORE of a difference than exercise. Here are 11 Tips from Larry:
1. You CAN get food
, flavor & satisfaction in healthy meals
. Brian mentioned he doesn’t cook and eats out a lot. Larry said he actually will call the local grocery store
where they prepare take-out meals and have them cook/prepare healthy meals for him. Good suggestion. He orders carefully when at a restaurant. He said pieces of a cut roll & sashimi is enough. He believes in eating
a lot of good food. He says it’s all about eating. More about the food choices than exercise.
2. #1 cause of obesity is sugary
drinks. Best thing you can do is cut out sodas & sugary coffees out completely. I’ve been saying this forever. I did so inn 2005 and feel such a difference. I can personally tell you that your body starts to reject sugar and junk food
3. Genetics play a huge role, but HABITS play an even larger role. Larry stressed that even if you have a lot of family members that are obese, you CAN make a difference by making behavioral changes.
4. Cardio is overrated. See #9.
5. You CAN’T work it off. You have to eat it off (meaning WHAT you eat is more important)
6. There’s ONE key to a good meal
& fitness program. It’s SUSTAINABILITY
. You have to ask yourself if you can stick with it long-term. If you can’t sustain it –it will be short-lived.
7. Behavioral change is the key to fitness.
8. Work out less; eat better. Larry kept stressing the importance of your food choices. I’m glad about this because I post a lot about healthy foods. I believe a lot of good health
(feeling AND looking your best) is nutritional.
9. 4 to 5 hours of exercise is enough a week. Larry says if you’re doing more than that –it’s too much. Brian mentioned that he loves running, but had a problem with his knee and really hates that he can’t run. Larry said he could get the same benefits from walking –that he doesn’t need to run.
10. It’s all about what you eat. Plan meals in advance. Larry has two books you can check out. One is “Get Fit
” and the most recent is “Living Lean
11. I missed one. It’s probably in the book!! 🙂 Wait. I recall another one. I suppose I should write things down. Lifting weights. He says you don’t have to spend a great deal of time lifting weights to have it make a difference. Again, he stresses what you eat as being the most important behavior change you can make. 30 to 40 minutes of even walking 4 days a week keeps you fit when you are eating right.
The bottom line is you do not need to be a gym rat.
CHECK OUT LARRY NORTH’S BOOK FOR MORE:
THANK YOU, BRIAN. GREAT INTERVIEW.
Stay healthy, everyone!