Springtime Allergies are here, so your eyes may bother you, but you can’t touch them.
Be sure to check the weekly pollen count in your area to find out if high pollen may be to blame. Enter your zip code at http://www.pollen.com
Below is a Symptom Checklist to tell the difference between allergies and a cold.
Headache Behind Eyes
Doesn’t Go Away
No Itchy Eyes
Comes on Slowly
Yellow or Green Mucus if Nose is Runny
Last 5-10 Days (more than that could be a sinus infection, see doctor)
TIPS TO HELP YOU COPE WITH ALLERGIES:
The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology says avoiding allergy triggers is the best way to reduce symptoms. Here’s how:
- Limit outdoor activities during days with high pollen counts.
- Keep windows closed (at home or in the car) to keep pollens out. In Summer, keep windows closed and AC on.
- Take a shower after coming indoors. Otherwise, pollen in your hair may bother you all night.4. Wear sunglasses to keep pollen from getting in your eyes.
5. Keep pets away from plants and trees (good luck with THAT).
…and there’s always over-the-counter help.
The FDA approves Pataday (twice daily and once daily) eye drops as being purchased over the counter, without a doctor’s approval. It was previously only available with a prescription.
So, if you have allergy eyes –help is here.
COLDS: Drink lots of fluids, get lots of rest, lozenges if your throat is sore, chicken soup, TLC and wait it out, over-the-counter help if it’s bad.
See a physician if it lasts more than 10-days. A sinus infection may require antibiotics.
- Sick Again? Or Maybe Allergies? (angelabullock.wordpress.com)
- Allergies: Runny nose may lead to sinus infection (abclocal.go.com)
- Common Cold Or Sinusitis? (drgodo.wordpress.com)
- The Itchy and Scratchy Show…Eye Allergy Season is here! (eaglemountainfamilyeyecare.wordpress.com)
- The Hidden Perp Behind Sinus Infections (lewrockwell.com)
- When Your Child Has Allergies (children.webmd.com)
- Geshundeit! And Flush. (dirtnkids.wordpress.com)
- An Early Start To Allergy Season (johnwarrenod.wordpress.com)
- Oral immunotherapy tablets help grass allergy sufferers, Allegheny General Hospital study finds (prweb.com)
- Know Some Holistic Remedies For Sinus Infection ? (after50health.
- Allergies (uw20sciencemediaandculture.wordpress.com)
- What are Pet Allergies? (tickledpinkpetcare.wordpress.com)
- Allergies Now In Full Bloom (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- How to Avoid Spring Sneezing and Stuffiness (nlm.nih.gov)
- Researchers Develop Alternative To Shot For Grass Allergies (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- How to Avoid Spring Sneezing and Stuffiness (news.health.com)
- Give Your Apartment Medicine Cabinet a Check-Up (apartmentguide.com)
- Mild winter could mean early allergy season (cbc.ca)
- Can Local Honey Help My Allergies? (webmd.com)
- Springtime Allergies OR Cold? (mariadorfner.wordpress.com)
- Common Allergies in Children (healthadel.com)
COMING UP…Tonight at 11 p.m. Eastern tune into ABC7 in New York or at abclocal.com to find out the latest in help for allergies!
Remember…you can manage the symptoms…and enjoy a Happy Spring! 🙂 -Maria Dorfner
Maria Dorfner is the founder of NewsMD and Healthy Within Network. This is her blog.